Blimey, under two weeks to go..! Hope you’re all starting to feel match-fit…
So, then, here’s the second part of the route for the first day... And here’s me imploring everyone to put a little bit of time aside to take a proper look at it in the next week or so. Although we have grabbed a few people by the ear to lead smaller groups out, it’s really important that everyone has a sense of where we’re going!
As you can see, it’s pretty detailed (the second day’s ride, which I’ll post next week, will be nowhere near as fussy) but I think it does cover all bases.
Once you start to follow the route on a map, it’ll make a lot more sense. So grab a copy of these directions, get Google maps up on your computer, and have a good old butchers… For those of you who are so inclined (you geeks), the Landranger OS maps I’ve been using that cover the route are Nos 176 and 186.
A general breakdown of the whole trip (not just the route) to come next week – but for now, please do set aside a bit of time for this beauty: (Note from Dom: This route will be in the biketobestival pack with the songs, equipmnt list and contact details coming your way next week and the Google Maps route is here: http://goo.gl/maps/YqeTG )
- Once in Old Woking, you’ll come to a mini-roundabout. Go straight over. After approximately half a mile, you’ll reach another roundabout. Go straight over, following the B380 (signposted Guildford).
- Keep on the B380, over two roundabouts, following signs to Pirbeck and Aldershot. Eventually, you’ll hit a T-Junction. Turn left, and then almost immediately right at a roundabout, doubling back on yourself. Very soon, take a turning on your left signposted Aldershot (A324). A member of the B2B support team will be present here to point you in the right direction!
- At the T-Junction with the A324, turn left. Keep on this road until you hit the Junction (with traffic lights) with the A323. Turn right, following signs to Camberley/Farnham.
- Keep following the A323, signposted Ash and Aldershot. Cross a railway line with Ash Station on your right. After approximately one mile, reach a roundabout. Go straight over (A323 Aldershot). Very soon, you’ll reach a big roundabout. Go straight over (still A323 Aldershot).
- Follow the dual carriageway for approximately a quarter of a mile. Then bear left on to the B3208, signposted Badshot Lea and Crematorium.
- Follow this road through Badshot Lea, and then straight on, following signs to Farnham.
- After approximately two miles, you’ll reach a large roundabout with a supermarket just off it. Go straight over, following signs to central Farnham.
- B2B HOTSPOT! You’ll almost immediately hit two roundabouts, feeding on to one another. The second of these is Flipping Massive and very busy. So take a huge amount of care.
- At the first roundabout, take the first left and head into the right-hand lane. Once on to the second roundabout, head into the right-hand lane and stay there, following the roundabout all the way around until the exit to central Farnham.
- B2B HOTSPOT! You’ll now hit the Farnham one-way system. The best way to give yourself a sense of direction is to imagine, as you approach it after the previous roundabout, that if you could, you’d cut a straight line through the town centre as the crow flies.
- The one-way system veers off to the left and then back on itself to the right, and then left through the beginnings of the high street. You’ll reach a set of traffic lights, with Barclays Bank in front of you and Sound and Vision shop on your right. Turn left and head into the right-hand lane.
- The road then veers to the right. A member of the B2B support team will be present here to point you in the right direction! Follow it, staying in the right-hand lane. This will take you back up to the high street, where you turn left, following a sign to A325 Petersfield.
Section 8: Farnham to Mellow Farm (yippee!)
- The A325 takes us almost all the way there. Follow it out of Farnham.
- Very soon, there are three roundabouts in fairly quick succession. At the first, bear right. At the second (junction with the A31) go straight over. At the third (mini) roundabout, turn right, passing the Bengal Lounge on your left.
- Follow the A325 through Alice Holt Forest. Pass Birdland on your right. Go through Bucks Horn Oak. Pass the Halfway House pub on your left, ignoring signs to Dockenfield/Frensham. Go straight on.
- After approximately a mile and a half, look out for a bus-stop layby on your left. Immediately afterwards, turn left, following signs to Dockenfield and Frensham.
- After less than a mile, turn right on to Old Lane. Then take your first turning right. Follow this winding road until you reach Mellow Farm on your right.